7 Questions with John May
Last modified on March 12th, 2021In this Solutionist Spotlight, we’re catching up with Claims Adjuster John May. Based in Georgia, John has over 19 years of experience managing claims. Learn more about him in his answers to our 7 questions below.
Solutionist Spotlight: John May
- What do you consider your greatest achievement? It’s a toss up. Either serving my country as a young Marine or donating a kidney to an Army medic who was in kidney failure (many years post service). I think we can achieve our best results when we think of others before ourselves.
- What do you think is the most important quality needed for success? Hard work. I still believe that America is a land of incredible opportunity and, with hard work, good decisions, and a bit of luck, you can achieve just about anything.
- What’s your favorite aspect of your job? Helping injured workers get the care they need from quality providers, when they need it. I very much love to see good outcomes for good folks whose only “offense” was to be unfortunate enough to be injured on the job.
- What’s your favorite memory/moment about a solution you helped an agent, insured, claimant with? I had an injured worker with a rotator cuff tear who couldn’t afford the reduction in his monthly income caused by a transition to TTD, so we settled his claim for him by front-loading all of his anticipated medical expenses, impairment rating, and lost wages. The State Board reviewed the unusual proposal and permitted it. That solution gave him the freedom to pursue the needed surgery without the associated reduction in monthly wages. He got the medical care he needed and didn’t have to lose his house that, as a single father, was his biggest fear. It was an unusual solution, but it was what he needed.
- Which day of the work week are you the most productive? Any day that I have lots of strong black coffee.
- What do you like to do in your spare time? I love spending time with my kids. I have a son, 14, and a daughter, 17, and they are the twin joys of my life. I also like to read books and spend time at the range.
- Where is the best place you have traveled to and why? I spent 18 months stationed in Japan as a young Marine. The Japanese people were some of the kindest, most honorable, people I have ever had the privilege to meet and, to this day, I will occasionally have dreams of being re-assigned to Japan for another tour. I would recommend a trip to Japan to anyone, without reservation.
FROM OUR BLOGSEE MORE POSTS
FFVA Mutual’s 2022 Annual Report
Focused Workers' Comp Services FFVA Mutual’s 2022 Annual Report shares our company’s financial highlights, results... moreRead more
EMR Rating: Understanding the Basics and Its Impact on Your Business
Mastering EMR (Experience Mod) Ratings In today's competitive business landscape, safety and risk management are crucial... moreRead more
Safeguarding the Roads: A Look at Distracted Driving Policy
The High Cost of Distracted Driving As an employer, it's your responsibility to ensure the well-being of your staff, and... moreRead more