7 Questions with Ernie Medina
In this Solutionist Spotlight, we’re catching up with Safety Supervisor Ernesto “Ernie” Medina. Anyone who has met and/or worked with Ernie agree his safety expertise and kindhearted personality leave a lasting impression. Learn more about him in his answers to our 7 questions below.
Solutionist Spotlight: Ernie Medina
- What do you like most about being a safety supervisor?
There are many aspects of my job I truly love. However, if I had to pick one, it would be meeting with existing and new policyholders. The process of building stronger professional relationships through more personalized customer engagement is very satisfying to me. I enjoy the task of bringing effective safety solutions. In a nutshell, I’m a people person.
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Growing up, I always wanted to be a professional athlete – either playing baseball with the New York Yankees or football with the Pittsburgh Steelers. As a youngster, I never envisioned myself as a safety professional. However, as I look back, I’m thankful I was guided to my current profession, which I love, because on a daily basis I have an opportunity to positively impact someone’s life and wellbeing
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
Be around the ocean! Anything and everything having to do with salt water. Kayaking, swimming, snorkeling and I especially enjoy fishing. For me the ocean is a very peaceful yet exciting place.
- What do you think are the most important qualities needed for success?
For me, the qualities that are needed for success are integrity, connection and humility.
• Integrity – In order to succeed, integrity is an important quality to possess. Without integrity there is no honesty, and without honesty policyholders, agents and co-workers alike will not believe in you. It’s impossible for a person with solid integrity, not to succeed.
• Connection – It’s extremely important to relate to others. Without solid connections, it’s very difficult to understand the people you work for and with.
• Humility – Is often confused with weakness however, I believe it’s the exact opposite. Humility shows strength. With humility you attract others, and guards are lowered which ultimately breeds success.
- What is your most treasured possession?
My family. You can say without a shadow of a doubt that I’m a family man. I absolutely love my family. They mean the world to me. Every day I thank God for my family, which is my greatest blessing.
- Do you have any hidden talents?
From a very young age, I’ve always been attracted to art. I studied fine art, sculpture, photography, graphic design and typography for many years. I especially love sketching people.
- Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why?
I would have to say Cancun, Mexico. And the reason why it’s Cancun, is because it was my honeymoon location. Even though it’s been more than 25 years ago, that trip holds special meaning for me.
Looking for more Solutionist Spotlights? Click here