7 Questions with Alan Hair
Last modified on February 3rd, 2020
This month’s spotlight is shining on Alan Hair, FFVA Mutual’s new president & CEO. Find out his thoughts and experiences on barefoot water skiing, fighter planes, national parks and more in his answers to our 7 questions!
Solutionist Spotlight: Alan Hair
- What are you most looking forward to in your new role at FFVA Mutual? I am looking forward to working with our excellent team to grow and improve the organization. We will build on the solid foundations that are already in place by implementing innovations in technology and adapting our business processes to meet the evolving needs of our business partners and policyholders. Together, our “Solutionists” will make FFVA Mutual the best choice for workers’ compensation insurance in the southeast, while enhancing this organization’s reputation as a desirable place to work.
- What do you think are the most important qualities for success? Integrity, humility, competence, determination, perseverance, direction, and the ability to connect and communicate effectively.
- What does true leadership mean to you? Leadership is more about serving/supporting others and having the ability to influence rather than holding a position of authority. An effective leader influences other people to accomplish a purpose. Leadership is both relational and directional. It is impossible to lead effectively if others are not willing to follow. In order to gain permission to lead, an individual must demonstrate authentic character (integrity, honesty), competence (successful track record, expert knowledge), and true compassion (humility, and willingness to serve others). An organization needs positive leaders/influencers at all levels and functions.
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? Because my father and several of my uncles were World War II veterans, I read every book about the war I could find in the school and public libraries. As an elementary school kid, I became very interested in the fighter planes and bombers that were flown during WWII and thought that it would be awesome to become a fighter pilot.
- What do you like to do in your spare time? While my three girls were in elementary and middle school, I spent a lot of time coaching their volleyball and basketball teams. Once they entered high school, I transitioned to a spectator. Now that I have two grandsons, ages 19 months and one year, my wife Patty and I get to spend time with them regularly. Grandchildren are truly a blessing! Our family likes to spend time supporting our UCF Knights, particularly in football. Patty and I also help lead the college and young adult ministry at First Baptist Church Orlando and I serve on several volunteer leadership boards.
- What is your favorite hobby or interest outside of work? I enjoy being outdoors! Some of the activities I enjoy include cycling, hiking, snow skiing, going to the beach, water skiing, and anything that includes the grandsons!
- Where is the best place you have traveled to and why? The most interesting place I have traveled outside of the country is Israel. It was truly amazing to visit places that are so old and that are so significant. We love our national parks, and my favorite one so far is Yellowstone. It must be one of the most unusual places on earth because of the amount of wildlife and the incredible geological diversity.
BONUS: Tell us three things most people don’t know about you?
- I am a native of Orlando and have lived all but 6 months of my life in the same zip code .
- I had three jobs before graduating from college. As a kid I worked occasionally for my dad who was a self-employed electrical contractor, and I had a lawn “business” of about 8 yards that myself and a friend worked together to mow. We towed our mowers around the neighborhood behind our bikes. In high school and college, I was a bag boy at Publix.
- For many years, I barefoot water-skied with a group of friends every Saturday morning at sunrise.
Looking for more Solutionist Spotlights? Click here
FROM OUR BLOGSEE MORE POSTS
Steering Clear: Safety Tips to Reinforce During Distracted Driving Awareness Month
Stay Focused: Avoid Distracted Driving In order to ensure employees' well-being, an employer must always prioritize... moreRead more
What is a Safety Stand-Down?
Learn About Safety Stand-Downs Workplace safety should be a paramount concern for every organization Unfortunately,... moreRead more
Understanding ANSI’s first aid kit requirements
ANSI First Aid Kit Requirements No matter how committed you are to workplace safety, accidents happen When they do,... moreRead more